Don't have your VIN Number?
Click here to send yourself a reminder.

How to Get a Wisconsin Assigned Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) – Wisconsin VIN Check

How to Get a Wisconsin Assigned Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) – Wisconsin VIN Check

When you buy a car in Wisconsin, there is a process to get it registered. This article will show you how to register your vehicle under WI law and get its assigned VIN number.

Before registering your new or used car (or borrowing one from someone), make sure that the person who sold it to you has given the correct information on their DMV registration form for vehicles they’ve sold within 30 days of purchase. If they have not provided this information, call them at 1-866-947-5822.

This article also contains instructions for registering a vehicle by completing the Application for WI Registration of Motor Vehicle form, which is available at

Wisconsin has the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Other states might call it something different, like the Motor Vehicles Division (MVD), Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (HSMV), Driver Services Department (DSD), Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV), Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA), Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS), Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV), Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC), Department of Licensing (DOL), Department of Driver Services (DDS), Department of Public Safety (DPS), or Department of Transportation (DOT).


How Do I Get a Wisconsin Assigned Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)?

1. Gather the required documents. You will need to provide proof of ownership and identification.

2. Complete the application form. You can find the form online or at your local DMV office.

3. Pay the fee. The fee for a VIN is $15.

4. Submit your application and documents to the DMV office.


What Documents Do I Need to Get a Wisconsin VIN?

– Title certificate

– Vehicle title application form

– Payment for vehicle title transfer fees

You must complete all sections of the title certificate, and both the buyer and seller must complete the title. Make sure you have the required paperwork and payment(s) to complete the vehicle title transfer process. Avoid delays and possible penalties.


Why Should I Get a Wisconsin VIN Check/Car ID Check?

1. To ensure you are buying a safe vehicle: A VIN check will reveal a car’s history, including any accidents or major damage that may have occurred. This information can help you make an informed decision about whether or not to purchase a particular vehicle.

2. To avoid buying a stolen vehicle: A VIN check will also show if a car has been reported as stolen. This can save you from purchasing a stolen car and getting into trouble with the law.

3. To get accurate insurance rates: Your insurance company will use your car’s VIN number to determine your rates. If you do not have a VIN number, your rates could be inaccurate.

4. To sell your car: If you plan on selling your car, potential buyers will want to run a VIN check before making an offer. Having the report ahead of time can speed up the selling process and give you an idea of what to expect in terms of price offers.


Smog Certification/Vehicle Inspection in Wisconsin

Smog certification is an inspection of a vehicle’s emissions system. The purpose of the inspection is to ensure that the vehicle meets emissions standards set by the state of Wisconsin.

There are two types of smog certification/vehicle inspections in Wisconsin:

1) OBDII Compliant Vehicles

2) Non-OBDII Compliant Vehicles

OBDII compliant vehicles are those that were manufactured after 1996 and have on-board diagnostics (OBD) systems that monitor emissions. These vehicles must be brought to a Wisconsin licensed emission testing station for an inspection.

Non-OBDII compliant vehicles are those that were manufactured before 1996 or do not have on-board diagnostics systems. These vehicles do not need to be inspected for smog certification purposes.

To get a smog certification/vehicle inspection, you will need to bring your vehicle to a Wisconsin licensed emission testing station and have it inspected. The cost of the inspection is $15 for OBDII compliant vehicles and $10 for non-OBDII compliant vehicles.


Smog Check Exemptions in Wisconsin

-Diesel vehicles manufactured before 2006

-All gasoline vehicles manufactured before 1996

-All vehicles manufactured after 1996, if not OBDII compliant

-Motorcycles and mopeds

-Trucks with a farm registration

-Electric vehicles

-Non-motorized vehicles


How to Transfer Your Vehicle Title in Wisconsin?

1. Make sure you have the required paperwork and payment(s) to complete the vehicle title transfer process. This includes a vehicle title certificate, vehicle title application form, and payment for vehicle title transfer fees.

2. Both the buyer and seller must complete all necessary sections of the title certificate.

3. Submit the completed paperwork and payment(s) to the Wisconsin DMV office.

4. Once everything has been processed, you will receive your new vehicle title in the mail.


Where Can I Go to Transfer a Vehicle Title in Wisconsin?

The Wisconsin DMV locations are: Kenosha Office 4911 88th Avenue, Suite A Kenosha, WI 53144 (800) 924-3570; 6th Street Milwaukee, WI 53203 (608) 264-7447; and Green Bay Office (Title & Registration ONLY) 1130 S. The DMV in Kenosha opens at 8:30am and closes at 4:45pm. The DMV in Milwaukee opens at 8:15am and closes at 4:30pm. The DMV in Green Bay opens at 8:00am and closes at 4:00pm.


What is a Wisconsin Bonded Title?

A bonded title is a document that proves you own your vehicle. The “bonded” brand indicates a surety bond is attached to the title. The “bonded” brand can be removed from the title after 5 years. If you are the true owner of the vehicle, you should not be concerned about any bond claims.


When You Might Need a Wisconsin Bonded Title

You may need a bonded title if you bought a vehicle and did not receive a title, bought a vehicle and only received a bill of sale, or bought a vehicle and received an improperly assigned title.

You should always check with your local DMV to determine if a bonded title is possible.

You can get a duplicate WI title certificate online, by mail, or in person at your local WI Department of Motor Vehicles office.

There is a $20 replacement title fee.

Not sure if you need a WI Bonded Title? Check out this awesome infographic.


What is a Wisconsin License Plate?

You will need to go to the DMV and apply for a license plate. You will need to provide proof of vehicle registration and identification.

Why do I need a license plate?: A license plate is needed so that your vehicle can be identified. This is important so that you can be properly registered and so that you can be found if your vehicle is lost or stolen.

What are the different types of license plates in Wisconsin?: There are different types of license plates for different purposes. For example, there are special interest license plates which commemorate events or people.

How do I get a personalized or custom Wisconsin license plate?: You can specify the instructions you want your personalized license plates to convey when you register for them.



You can get a Wisconsin assigned vehicle identification number (VIN) by contacting the Wisconsin Department of Transportation.