Don't have your VIN Number?
Click here to send yourself a reminder.

How to Get a New York Assigned Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)

How to Get a New York Assigned Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)

Have you ever had a question about how to get your New York Assigned vehicle identification number (VIN)?

Well, I just got one myself and wanted to share what I found on the DMV website. It helped me out a lot!

New York has the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Other states might call it something different, like the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV), Motor Vehicles Division (MVD), Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (HSMV), Driver Services Department (DSD), Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV), Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA), Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS), Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV), Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC), Department of Licensing (DOL), Department of Driver Services (DDS), Department of Public Safety (DPS), or Department of Transportation (DOT).


How Do I Get a New York Assigned Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)?

1. You will need to contact the New York DMV to request a new VIN.

2. You will need to provide the DMV with information about your vehicle, including the make, model, and year.

3. Once you have been assigned a new VIN, you will need to have it registered with the DMV.


What Documents Do I Need to Obtain a New York VIN?

-A completed form MV-82 (Application for Certificate of Title)

-The vehicle’s current out-of-state title or registration

-The vehicle’s bill of sale

If the vehicle is less than 25 years old, you will also need:

-A completed form MV-103 (Emissions Inspection Waiver Application) if the vehicle is being registered in a county that does not require emissions testing.


Why Should I Run a New York VIN/Car ID Check?

1) To make sure that the car you are buying is not stolen.

2) To make sure that the car you are buying has not been in a serious accident.

3) To make sure that the car you are buying has not been used as a taxi or police cruiser.


How Can I Tell if My VIN Has Been Tampered With in New York?

If you think your vehicle identification number (VIN) has been tampered with, you should contact the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The DMV can investigate to see if the VIN has been altered, cloned, or otherwise tampered with.

If the DMV finds that the VIN has been tampered with, they will assign a new VIN to your vehicle. This new VIN will be recorded in the DMV’s database and will be used on all future registration renewals and title transfers.

If you have any questions about getting a new VIN for your vehicle, you should contact the New York State DMV at 1-800-622-4368.


New York Car Registration

You will need to go to the New York DMV and request a new VIN.


Registration Card Replacement in New York

“If you’re looking to replace your car’s VIN in New York, you’ll need to follow a few simple steps. First, you’ll need to find the nearest DMV office that offers registration services. Next, you’ll need to fill out a form called an Application for Certificate of Title or Registration (MV-82).

Be sure to include the following information on the form:

-Your car’s make, model, and year

-Your car’s current license plate number

-The reason why you’re requesting a new VIN

-Your contact information (name, address, phone number)

After you’ve completed the MV-82 form, take it along with your vehicle registration card and proof of insurance to the DMV office. The DMV will then issue you a new vehicle registration card with your new VIN.”


Vehicle Registration Processing Times in New York

The New York DMV assigns Vehicle Identification Numbers (VINs) to vehicles as they are registered. The process of getting a new VIN can take several weeks.

If you are wondering why your registration is taking so long, it is likely because the DMV is waiting for your vehicle’s VIN to be assigned.

There is not much you can do to speed up the process, but you can check on the status of your registration by contacting the DMV or visiting their website.

If your registration is taking longer than expected, you may want to contact the DMV to inquire about the status of your VIN assignment.


What is a New York License Plate?

If you’re a New York resident, you can get a license plate for your vehicle from the state’s Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). You’ll need to register your vehicle with the DMV and pay a fee. Once you have your license plate, you’ll need to renew it every year.


How Do I Get a New York License Plate?

If you’re moving to New York, you’ll need to get a new license plate for your car. Here’s how to do it.

First, you’ll need to go to your local DMV office and surrender your old license plate. You’ll also need to fill out a Vehicle Registration/Title Application (MV-82).

Next, you’ll need to pay the required fees. The fee for a new license plate is $25.00.

Once you have all of the required documents and fees, you can submit them to the DMV office and they will issue you a new license plate.


What Can You Do to Deter Car Thieves in New York?

1. Get a New York Assigned Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)

2. Make sure your car is properly registered with the DMV

3. Use an anti-theft device on your car, such as a steering wheel lock or alarm system

4. Never leave your car running unattended, even for just a few minutes

5. Park in well-lit and busy areas whenever possible


Do I Need a Smog or Emissions Inspection in New York?

If you’re a New York driver, you may be wondering if you need to get a smog or emissions inspection. The answer depends on what kind of vehicle you drive and where you live in the state.

Here’s a quick rundown of the requirements:

Vehicles registered in New York City, Long Island, or Westchester County must get an annual emissions inspection. This applies to all passenger cars and light-duty trucks that are model year 1996 or newer and have a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 8,500 pounds or less. If your vehicle is registered outside of these areas, you only need to get an inspection every two years.

The purpose of the emissions inspection is to make sure that your vehicle is not releasing excessive pollutants into the air. If your vehicle fails the inspection, you’ll need to have it repaired and retested within 60 days.

There are a few exceptions to the emissions inspection requirement. Vehicles that are model year 1995 or older, have a GVWR over 8,500 pounds, are powered by diesel fuel, or are alternative fuel vehicles are exempt from the requirement. In addition, certain types of antique vehicles are also exempt from having to get an emission test.

If you’re not sure whether or not your vehicle needs an inspection, you can check the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation website or contact your local DMV office.



Getting a New York assigned vehicle identification number (VIN) is a simple process. Just follow the steps outlined in this guide and you’ll have your new VIN in no time.